This Saturday, September 6th, marks International Vulture Awareness Day (IVAD). This commemorative day has been celebrated since at least 2009 and aims to highlight the importance of vultures and vulture conservation through education. We'd like to focus on vultures this week through a series of blog posts featuring these important families of birds. As an introduction, here are some vulture highlights from our blog and website archives.
- We have species information for all 23 species of vulture.
- For IVAD 2009, we featured 14 Favorite Vulture Facts on the Birdorable blog.
- Our Vultures of the World map shows where all of the world's 23 vulture species can be found. This is a free printable poster download (the map is also available for purchase in larger formats).
- We've featured vultures in our Baby Birdorable series, because baby vultures are cute! Adults are dark, but Turkey Vulture chicks and Black Vulture chicks start out with white downy feathers.
- Looking for some fun vulture-themed activities for your IVAD celebrations? We've got a great selection of vulture activity pages and vulture coloring pages. These are all free PDF downloads.
Join us this week as we highlight vulture species, vulture biology and other fun vulture topics in the coming days! We're excited to gear up to celebrate another International Vulture Awareness Day!