Here are some fun facts about Adélie Penguins:
- The Adélie Penguin is the smallest species of penguin to be found in the Antarctic;
- Adélie Penguins breed and raise their young farther south than any other penguin;
- Adélie Penguins can live to be up to 20 years old;
- A colony of Adélie Penguins can be made up of 100 to 250,000 pairs of birds;
- There are about 5 million Adélie Penguins in the world living in 38 different colonies (that seems like a lot, but in the last 25 years Adélie penguin populations have dropped by 65% due to sea ice reduction and scarcity of food);
- The Adélie Penguin was named in 1840 by French explorer Jules Dumont d'Urville after his wife, Adélie;
- The penguins in the 2005 animated feature film Madagascar are presumed to be Adélie Penguins, and the main character in the 2006 film Happy Feet is an Emperor Penguin who befriends a group of Adélie Penguins with a Mexican accent.